For the nit-pickers and nerdy ones here, I’m giving the specs and technical sheets . For all the others, you can just go to the next page to see how the DAP performs.
DAC and LPF
The Shanling M6 uses two AKM AK4495SEQ DACs, an iteration we haven’t seen or heard quite often.
It’s a new generation chip, labeled as a “Quality-Oriented 126dB 32-bit 2 ch Premium DAC”. Asahi Kasei advertised better Sound-Noise-Ration, at 123dB in balanced mode, and a full decoding of PCM files up to 32bits/768kHz.
To do so, Shanling implemented two Japanese KDS low phase noise active crystal oscillators, and an FPGA chipset to ensure bit-perfect decoding. The brand says that each additional component was chosen very carefully :
- white copper shielding on top of the audio circuit,
- two TI OP1612 for low-pas filtering
- two ADI AD8397 for the balanced output amplification, and one additional chip for the single-ended mode. All to ensure a fully-balanced experience from the source, to the plug.
The capacitors are provided by ELNA and Panasonic, two Japanese firms well-known for the quality of their products., If you can find some of them in high-end gear such as Accuphase, you’ll be glad to know that Shanling uses four Selmic II capacitors and Tantalum Polymer iterations, to reach new levels of performances.
In single-ended mode, separation is announced at [email protected] But, in balanced mode, the separation reaches an impressive level of [email protected], a whopping difference. Otherwise, Dynamic range and SNR are quite similar, with a small 1dB variation.
- Type : Digital Audio Player - OS : Android 7.1
- CPU : Qualcomm Snapdragon 430
- RAM : 4Gb
- ROM : 32Gb
- DAC : 2x AK4493SEQ
- LPF : 2x Ti OPA1612
- BUF : 2x AD8397 + 1 (single ended)
- Sample rate : PCM : 8Hz – 768kHz (8/16/24/32bits) native – DSD64/128/256(software)
- System clock : Full synchronization technology with FPGA processor and dual clock
- Outputs : 3.5mm headphone out/line-out / 2.5mm balanced headphone output / 4.4mm balanced headphone output
- Input : USB Type-C
- Screen : 4.7″ 720×1080 IPS Screen from Sharp
- Micro SD : SDHC / SDXC (single slot)
- USB DAC : yes
- WiFi : 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz support
- DNLA + Full google play support
- Bluetooth support : SBC, aptX, LDAC, aptX-HD, AAX
- Duplex Bluetooth : player can emit and receive music
- Battery : 3.8V 4000mAh Li-Polymer
- Quick Charge : yes (QC 3.0
- Battery life : 12h in single ended, 9h in balanced
- Charging time : around 1h30
- Size : 71mm*133.5mm*17.5mm
- Weight : 228g (250g with the leather case)
3.5 mm Headphone out
- Output power : 160mW @32ohm
- SNR : 118 dB
- Channel separation : 75dB
- Output impedance : 1 ohms
- Distortion : < 0.001%
2.5 mm Headphone out / 4.4mm Headphone out
- Output power : [email protected]
- SNR : 119 dB
- Channel separation : 109dB
- Output impedance : 2 ohms
- Distortion : < 0.001%
The review continues on Page five, after the click HERE or by using the jump below.