Today we look at HiBy’s flagship portable player, the HiBy R8. It’s selling for $1,899 USD.
Disclaimer: The sample of the HiBy R8 was sent to us free of charge for this review. HiBy Music is not in any way related to Headfonia.
I don’t think HiBy needs an introduction anymore after having launched multiple successful portable players with the award winning R3, the excellent R6- series and more.
However, in case you completely missed that, I’ll repeat what Berkhan had to say about HiBy when he reviewed the R6 DAP:
HiBy music specializes in research, development and sales of high quality portable audio products. They have professional R&D staff and they also have quite a good history in the portable audio field. They have partnerships with brands like Cayin, Shanling and Questyle. As far as I know they make the software of those devices or at least give software support to them.
HiBy Music’s mottos are “Make Music More Musical” & “Ease of Use is not Optional”
Also, their HiBy Music application for smartphones has hundreds of thousands of users all over the world, it’s not hard to see they have a good reputation and know-how about audio processing and software integration.
Then, before checking out this R8 review, make sure you read up on the previous reviews first:
Especially, the HiBy R6 Pro review, as it has won our best gear award and is also featured on our Recommended Gear list. Up to know HiBy mostly had they eye on the entry and mid-fi segment, but with their newest player they are aiming much higher. The HiBy R8 is their latest flagship Android DAP, and it’s what we’re looking at today. Let’s get started.
A brand new TOTL portable player, that’s exactly what the R8 is. With this DAP HiBy enters the high-end segment, and they hope to give the competition a tough time. We’ll soon find out if they succeeded. Keep reading.
HiBy R8 Takes You to the Live Symphony
Let’s check out the main features:
– Extra special power supply: The HiBy R8 is backed by back a 38Wh custom ATL battery, with high power density and low internal resistance, capable of continuous 10000mA current output. A new Turbo Mode allows the power output to be adjusted. Turn on Turbo mode to increase power supply voltage on hardware level and change the headphone amp’s working conditions, to drive over-ear headphones with more power and dynamic range. In normal mode we have max 12W output, in Turbo Mode 16W. Of course your battery will deplete much faster in using TM. A full quick charge takes 5 hours.
– Luxurious audio loadout: 4 ELNA SILMIC capacitors, 10 tantalum capacitors (gold/hand-picked), 18 high ripple-suppression-ratio LDO regulators, 35 Panasonic Hi-Polymer POSCAPs.
– Custom designed op-amps: Not found on any other player according to HiBy — HiBy is directly involved in the research and design of the model OP02 opamps used in the HiBy R8.
– Femtosecond precision: Dual oscillators locked to 45.1584MHz and 49.152MHz with femtosecond precision reduces phase noise to under -159dBc/Hz @ 1kHz offset.
– Dual AK4497 DACs: The HiBy R8 comes equipped with Dual AK4497 DACs, to ensure powerful decoding and highly efficient. Paired with in-house designed audio pipeline, easily handles DSD512 and 32bit / 768kHz PCM. Most of the competitors use the newer AK4499 chip, just fyi.
– 3.5mm and 4.4mm separate line and headphone outs (4 ports). Over 1000mW in power drives all over-ear large-scale headphones with ease.
– 4G connectivity: With 4G connectivity you can stream music wherever you are. The R8 supports 4G data, not voice calls or SMS. It’s important to mention that not all R8’s have this feature, the stainless steel version with 4G function is limited in China, Hong Kong and Japan. Our review sample has 64gb internal memory and doesn’t feature a sim-card slot.
– Operating system: The HiBy R8 sports the Snapdragon 660 SoC for driving a modern Android operating system with speed and stability. Based on Android 9 it allows the HiBy R8 to obtain GMS certification. You’ll be downloading apps directly from Google Play.
– MQA support: You like it or you don’t but the HiBy R8 includes MQA support (at 16x).
– Wireless: The HiBy R8 will feature 2.4/5GHz dual band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, Two-way Bluetooth (transmit and receive audio) and UAT high quality Bluetooth codec. The HiBy R8 supports music transfer by HiByLink, DLNA, Airplay and Wi-Fi.
– Screen: straight-edged design exuding power and confidence. Featuring a 1080p full HD display, 5.5” 5gen corning gorilla glass, 1920×1080, 400ppi, 16:9, oleophobic. Supports double-tap to wake and multiple finger gestures. In hand, the screen is seriously impressive if you ask me.
– The R8 comes with 4gB RAM and depending on the models sports 54 or 128GB internal storage. There is only one micro-SD card slot and you can expend the external storage up to 2TB.
The reference R8 is selling for $1,899 USD, directly from the HiBy store.
Those not interested in the specs can click here and go to the next page already.
|CPU Max Frequency
|AKM AK4497 x 2
|Support 2.4GHz, 5GHz
|16 million true color
|Up tp 2TB + via 1 micro SD card
|Aluminium alloy black
|5V⎓2A / 9V⎓2A
|Third Party Apps
|Unrestricted access via Google Play and apk download
Click here or use the jumps below to go the the second page of the article.